Monday 23 May 2011

Weekend Musings: Scening with Sound

Music ...

I admit I was kind of at a loss for what to write this weekend, which is why my post is coming late.  Since I told my girl she could come up with our topics I don't want to back out now, but this one really isn't my thing.  I've never really been interested in music - at least not in 'lots' of music.  I grew up with narrow tastes and never had the opportunity to explore, so there is still so much I don't know ... I just don't think I'll ever catch up.

I have enough music so that when I am driving for work I have something to listen to in the car - and I go to sleep listening to music most nights since it helps calm my brain.  That's a habit from when I was little and to shut me up and get me to sleep my mother would just put on a tape in the bedroom and keep re-running it until I finally fell asleep.  Now most music makes me sleepy just listening to it - funny how the mind works isn't it?

I know that she likes to have music going during an intense scene, it helps her the same way it helps me sleep, but giving her brain something to focus on and let go so she isn't worrying about the laundry, or messy floor, or whatever it might be that is on her mind.  For me the music recently has been practical - it keeps out the noise of the dog's nails *ticktickticking* on the floor while she paces around, and the *mrooowwwing* and hissing of the cats while they try to kill each other.  In general I prefer instrumental music without a lot of vocal accompaniment.  I find music with too many vocals, or complicated refrains to be distracting - it's the beat that's most important.

Recently I've been throwing on some Enya just because that's what I have on my iPod at the moment that isn't too vocal heavy and distracting.  Since we haven't been doing any heavy 'play' recently it's been working just fine for me.  I've also got some Evanescence on there that I can put on if we're doing something more 'intense'.

During a session with some impact play I like something with a heavy thudding beat that I can use to time my strokes - it lets me pick up a rhythm from something external and I think it gives a bit extra 'thump' if I'm timing the blows properly.  It's almost like dancing, feeling the beat in your body and flowing with it.  When I really get into it, it helps me let go as well - there's a narrow focus, where even though I know whats going on around me and I'm aware of it - I can really just lose myself in the moment.  It's a very freeing experience.

I really have no idea what we used to use, since I had my girl put it together ... being the one of us that knows more about music I leverage her expertise to create play lists for us.  She has one now that I'm supposed to be trying here one of these days, probably with one of our new rope floggers I'll give it a shot.

Read Her View for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment