Sunday 22 May 2011

Weekend Musings: Music to Scream By

Music has always been an important part of my life.  I grew up in a family where, as the youngest grandchild, I was my opera-singing grandfather's last best hope for a family prodigy.  I took singing lessons, guitar lessons, flute lessons and piano lessons.  I partially paid for my college tuition by singing in a small bar and in a wedding band.  My CD walkman went everywhere with me until there were mp3 players... and now it's my iPod that is my constant companion.  I have over 50 gigs of music on my computer, which would apparently take 40 days worth of non-stop listening to work my way through.  I love music. 

It shouldn't be surprising then, that the music that's played during a BDSM scene is important to me.  I have my favorites, some of which inspire my lyrically, and some of which inspire me musically, but my list is constantly changing.  For a long time, I thought the best thing ever was being whipped to Mozart's Requiem in D Minor.  It's still a perennial favourite, but my current list of "best scene songs ever" includes a few more contemporary artists.  Following are the songs which currently have a home on my hottest of the hot, scene playlist.


 
Garbage: I fell in love with this band in the 90s, and it's been a part of many many scene oriented playlists over the years.  My current loves include Only Happy When It Rains and Push It.  Both have nice rhythm which, at least for me, enhances impact play significantly.



Nine Inch Nails:  Their sound goes right through me when I'm in the right mood.  Only, Head Like a Hole, Closer, and The Hand That Feeds are on my current must-orgasm-to list. 

 Muse: Time is Running Out
 
Breaking Benjamin:  I fell in love with their sound during a pretty dark period in my life, and it seemed to resonate with my more black emotions.  It makes sense then that it would appeal to me during the darkest of scenes, no?  My favourites include Topless, So Cold and Breath.

 Bush: Comedown, Glycerin

David Draiman:  I kind of have a little bit of a vamp fetish.  Okay, maybe more than a little bit.  What's sexier than a big strong scary someone that is going to bite you and make you bleed?  Makes me shiver.  From one of my favourite vampire flicks, Queen of the Damned, the song is Forsaken.

Evanescence:  This one might be a little cliched.  Lots and lots of people like them for scene music, and I tend to hate being trendy.  But you know, sometimes trends happen for a reason.  Their ethereal sound, heavy bass and even their dark lyrics make them a natural mate to BDSM scenes.  Try Bring Me to Life, My Immortal, or Sweet Sacrifice.

What belongs on the playlist next?  You tell me.  What's on your BDSM scene playlist, and why?  What moves you?  What do you like to feel - bass?  Percussion?  Heavy guitar?  What speaks to your soul?

Read His View for more information

1 comment:

  1. So so soo much about music speaks to my soul. Hooverphonic, enigma, tool, loveage, massive attack, KMFDM. Depends on the mood. My partner doesn't see it as important as I do either but grinding my hips to a beat while his face is between my legs or sliding up and down to the beat is a near orgasmic experience just in itself. The music feeds me and my lust. :)

    ReplyDelete